Thursday, May 22, 2008

Is It Bad to Crack Your Knuckles?


As I, Fatty, was sitting on the beach, relaxing and leafing through an old copy of the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, I came across the answer to this age-old question. I also wish my father had known this, because maybe he would have yelled at my brother less.

 

Cracking your knuckles is not as bad as people think. The usual argument is that
knuckle popping causes arthritis. This does not happen. Chronic knuckle cracking may cause other types of damage, including stretching of the surrounding ligaments and a decrease in grip strength, but not arthritis.


So what causes the pop? The sound is produced in the joint when bubbles burst in the synovial fluid surrounding the joint.

 

Really interesting, huh?

No comments: