Saturday, July 30, 2005

Fedora

Yesterday, my colleague installed the latest Linux release from Red Hat, Fedora and found it to be a breeze. I remember when I had to install Red Hat 3, if I am not mistaken, and it was an nightmare.  Fedora detects the disk automatically but at version 3, one had to specify the size of the disk in blocks, type of hard disk (at that time, my disk was a whopping 512MB)

It is good that the GUI of Fedora is similar to Windows. It makes the transition easier. The automatic updates is wonderful, comes with quite a bit of softwares. Installation was easy, configuring it took a few more steps than Windows where we had to specify the resolution (Windows detects the resolution automatically)

All and all, the new Fedora looks and feels good. You should give it a go. You can download the whole installation set (4 disks plus one boot disk) from the Fedora website at http://fedora.redhat.com/

Enjoy


No comments: