Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Beetles in Love


Beetles in Love, originally uploaded by Peloria.

Okay, so not a particularly pretty photo today.

The fine folks over at BugGuide.net have helped me identify these as Cicada Parasite Beetles or Cedar Beetles from the family Rhipiceridae! The larger one is actually the female, the brown fancy one is the male.

Previously...

I'm hoping someone can identify these beetles I found on a silver maple tree in my yard. Close to these two was what appeared to be a family of them - with the larger beetle carrying three others on its back! Very intriguing.

There are also a few other smaller brown ones swarming around the tree. I want to be sure there isn't some kind of infestation going on. Never saw them before today. Anyone have a clue as to what these critters are?

No comments: