Sunday, April 18, 2010

Calling Home From 30,000 Feet

Have you ever called home from 30,000 feet up in the air?

Well, if you’re rich, you could have used the Skyphone that’s available as part of the ICE (Information, Communication and Entertainment) system most airplanes have.

But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could now use my own cell phone on the plane, at 30,000 feet!

 

Using my cell phone while travelling 30,000 feet up in the air with Emirates

 

This is part of Emirates’ new communication system. I sent and received a text reply from my sister back home. What I don't know is how much it cost. I will know soon once the bill from Maxis arrives.

Cool isn't it, being able to use your mobile 30,000 feet up in the air.

According to my colleague who travels a lot, Emirates is one of the very few airlines which is constantly innovating and bringing in new services for its customers. Its a far cry from what KLM offers apparently.

But on hindsight, would you want a bunch of chattering crowd up in the air? I quite enjoy the peace and quiet I get in the air, when the window blinds are down, the lights dimmed and me reading a nice book while sipping on white wine. After all, I paid dearly for such a comforting experience, why would I ever want it disturbed?

Nevertheless, well done Emirates.

No comments: