Monday, January 16, 2006

Words Do Matter

Air Canada Flight 154
by Kevin Eikenberry

I was boarding a flight in Edmonton, Alberta, bound for
Toronto after a long day. As I handed my boarding pass
to the Air Canada gate agent, I asked her if she was
having a good day. Her response has been in my mind for
nearly two weeks. She looked at me, smiled, and said,
"All the better for you asking me, thanks."

As I literally skipped down the jetway, I smiled. I have
asked hundreds of people if they are having a good day.
Never have I received that response. I've heard, "It's
ok.", "No not really," and "Fine, thanks." But never,
until now, have I heard "All the better for you asking
me, thanks."

Her response was gracious and warm. It wowed me as a
Customer - giving me a very positive experience with Air
Canada (even before I was on the plane!) More
importantly, it made me feel special as a human being.
Perhaps she was taught to say this by a parent at a young
age and it was an automatic response. Even if this were
true, her genuine response makes that irrelevant.

No comments: