Monday, February 13, 2006

Journey of Joy

Journey of Joy

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes in the year 2000, I was certain that diabetic medication would cure me. This, after all, was the age of technology and wonder drugs. I didn't count on the weight gain, nor as my immune system became more compromised, was I thrilled to be diagnosed with arthritis. By spring of 2004 I dragged myself into the doctor's office with the worst upper respiratory infection of my life. Gloomily, I kept repeating to myself, "diabetics are six times more likely to die of the flu." By the time I placed my foot on the doctor's scale, I was so sick that I was convinced that death would be the good news. Then I noticed my weight. I weighed in at 196 pounds! I was four pounds away from becoming my grandmother!

My doctor loaded me down with a two weeks' supply of antibiotics, a bottle of prednisone, and then he quit his practice. Now I had to search for another doctor. Terrific! I was terrified, but in spite of my fears, my search turned out to be one of the greatest blessings of my life. Through family networking and gut-wrenching prayer, I found my doctor, a soft-spoken Dutch woman, who did not see my medical condition as a death sentence. She envisioned my condition as a launching pad to greater health. She was open to alternative ways of diabetes control. She was compassionate, insightful, and she was enthusiastic about my plan for exercise and a low-carb diet. "You can do it," she assured me, and I believed her.

I went home, and I really searched my heart. Do I believe that my life and my body are gifts of God? Do I believe that I have a responsibility for my own health? Do I believe that the only way I can thank God for this life is to honor His gift? Do I owe my children a mother? Do I want to grow old with the love of my life? My answer then, and now, is a resounding YES!

A year ago, I celebrated my fifty-eighth birthday by purchasing a motorized treadmill. I began a healthy, low-carb diet, including many varieties of low-carb vegetables and fruits. By the end of the first month I had worked my way from "huff-and-puff" to a half-mile, and I had lost six pounds! My taste buds became more sensitive, so that I began to notice the unique flavors of fresh foods. An apple and a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter became pure ambrosia to me. Without added sugar I discovered that I loved the real taste of blackberries and blueberries.

It was amazing how quickly I adapted to my new healthy lifestyle. Thankfully, I made my decision at the beginning of the low-carb movement. I have discovered delicious low-carb foods, right in my local grocery store. I could even treat myself to low-carb bread, puddings, and my personal favorite, chocolate milk. I devoted myself to reinventing my favorite recipes, creating healthier, low-carb yummies, like soy muffins and pancakes, tasting like the real thing!

In just a few months I was walking a mile a day on my treadmill. Naturally impatient, it was difficult for me to walk in place for an entire half-hour with only my thoughts to entertain me. Therefore, I decided to set aside that time as a time of worship. While listening to my favorite hymns, I thank God for every good thing in my life. I have been surprised to find myself also thanking Him for my difficulties, which have created within me a stubborn perseverance and strength.

In well over a year, I have lost forty pounds and four dress sizes, and I'm still losing! I test my blood sugar frequently during the day, especially before and after exercise. A year ago I was taken off all diabetes medication, and my blood sugar, on my fifty-ninth birthday, remains happily under control. My arthritis is less painful, and I am gardening once again. My failing immune system has rejuvenated. I am fighting off infection and disease, and I have more energy than I have had in years!

I am looking forward to my future. I have a deep belief that I owe God something for my life and the love that He has given to me. My family deserves to have me in their lives, and I am worth this effort. I would not have missed this journey. It has been a journey of joy!

No comments: